PostHeaderIcon I Was Not Surprised When Erap Was Deposed In 2001


I was not surprised when Erap was deposed in 2001 by the supposed "EDSA II". I got an inkling of it way back in 2000.

Filipinos invariably talk about elections. In a gathering in Ibalon in 2000 there was a talk of who will probably succeed Erap after the 2004 elections. Of course the majority said that Gloria is the frontrunner being the sitting Vice-President and a former topnotcher in Senate elections. The somebody shot back, "What made you think Erap will finish his term".

The person was close to some powers as is some of the other members. "What is the lesson of EDSA?" The same person answered the question, "The military is pivotal".

That set me thinking. And watching.

Soon the "I Accuse" speech of Sen. Guinnago came out. Next came the Villar "touchdown". Afterwards, the impeachment melodramas in the Senate that was broadcast live nationwide. After that, "Itsa Dos".

A friend asked me why I was not high on Gloria (like most of the educated then). Told him I lived in Iligan City and "isinusuka sila doon ng tao". Gloria spent her early years there. It was the place where her mother practiced medicine and it is where their true ancestral house in located (not in Pampanga unlike what most people supposes).

I asked a relative why. "Masama ang ugali. Manggagamit". And it is said that the place where one came from knows the person best.

The person added, "Gloria never forgot the humiliation of her father. She idolized him." I didn't know then if the words were a warning to me.

And that got me thinking of the Harry Stonehill case and the subsequent canning of then Secretary of Justice Jose Diokno.

"Think of it, mga padi. If Gloria succeeds Erap in 2001 and wins in 2004, that is 10 years. Lot of time to really do something".

But I don't think now that the person really knew then how black Gloria's bones are.

Blog Archive

Topics/Categories

Feedjit Live Blog Stats

Topics/Categories

Add to Technorati Favorites

Ateneo de Naga HS Batch 74

ABS-CBN News

GMA News.tv

Philippine Commentary

Inquirer Breaking News